Pages

Friday 2 December 2011

I've bin wheelie busy!

I love a challenge so when I was asked to make baby toys I said, 'Yes, please!'

This was the brief;
1x green wheelie bin
1x learner driver L plate
1x dumbbell/weight
1x traffic cone
with rattles or bells

Now, when I said I love a challenge, I'm somebody who has never, ever tackled aruga amiga amigurumi. So where to start?

For lots of reasons this week I'm loving Etsy. You can find just about anything. I found a pattern for dumbbells in my first search. Bought, paid for and completed in one night. How's that for service? Thank you, Celina from Simply Collectible



Next the L plate. It turned out larger than I planned but it is a good compact, pillow size. Something to cwtch up to.


Two down!

The next two presented much more of a challenge. Just where to start? There is a free pattern for traffic cones somewhere but it didn't work out for me. So I found a basic cone shape, fine. For the base I made a circle. You know, one of those flat circles where if you put the increases in the same place all the way round you actually end up with an octagon type flat circle. I made two for a firmer base and stitched the corners for support.


Weally? A wheelie bin? Celina has a great Oscar in a garbage can pattern but there's something quintessentially British about a wheelie bin. At least I had the basic shape. I started with a square and using Celina's back post idea for dents I marked the corners. It was straight crochet until I reached a sensible height. Made another square but slightly bigger for the top and decided to join it to the bin on one side so that it flipped back.



All of them have rattles. All finished. Mission achieved!

Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

Bebby said...

Amazing!! They are really realistic ~ well done you!

Hand Knitted Things said...

Lol! love the wheelie bin! Well done!

Wendy said...

Brilliant Cat, they look fantastic.

Lizzy Love said...

so so cute! Well done! Would have never guessed it was a first time for you! I bet the customer loves them!!!!

liz said...

Hi, I saw you posted about your blog on folksy, so I came to have a look. These are fun:)

♥ Mary Janes TEAROOM said...

Fabulous...I love everything Cat...you are so talented!....I love ETSY too and could spend hours browsing around...often do without realising!
Hope you have a great weekend,
Susan x

ThatFuzzyFeeling said...

That's amazing!