Pages

Wednesday 31 August 2011

Goodbye summer

Summer 2011

It happened at Easter. I remember taking the photos and doing the post. My garden was full of flowers and the trees were heavy with blossom. We had high hopes of a blazing, hot summer to make up for the ravages of winter.

What happened? Well, June, July and August happened.

I know I shouldn't complain. We've had no drought, no sandstorms, no hurricanes but...facts - important ones, not just moaning.

We live in a part of the world that has high rainfall.
The area I live in has an above average rate of adolescent suicides.
I believe these two facts could be linked.

Lack of sunshine lowers vitamin D levels and serotonin levels. Seasonal affective disorder, well it's not good.
This can show itself as anything from poor concentration to severe depression.

So for those of you who have been baking under the summer sun forgive us Brits if we appear miserable, introverted and just plain cranky. We just need some sun to warm up our bones and then we'll be happy again - almost.



Now, take away those tacky adverts, turn up the volume and play it again.

Don't you feel better?

5 comments:

Lizzy Love said...

I wanted to play the video but the uploader has not made it available in my country, the post was good though and I know what you mean about the rain, we have had an unusual amount of rain this summer and every single day is thunderstorm warnings, no exaggeration every single day!!!!! It has rained about 5 days out of every week here all summer long!!!!! Maybe that is why I have been feeling so under the weather lately!!!!

Baban Cat said...

Sorry about that. It's 'Let the sun shine' by Labrinth.
There's a lot of truth in that saying. I only get headaches when the weather changes.

Anonymous said...

Well said, I can't believe that the 'summer' is almost over.

Of course my wife reckons I'm cranky regardless of how much sun I get........

cathouseprints said...

I had the same problem as Elizabeth - the uploader has not made it available in my country! I'll have to try other options next.

Unlike you, we've had sun here and last week was horribly hot and humid and just miserable. Funny how we always want what we don't have (sun, clouds, straight hair, whatever).

All things considered though, our summer in So. Cal. has been rather mild and now we are on fire alert due to the lack of rain and all the past fires. Yep, fire season is upon us here and most of our fires are due to arson. Go figure. What possesses some people?

Baban Cat said...

We went through fire season in May. Again kids setting mountain fires. Since then it's been too wet to burn anything - apart from in London of course.